Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Might be TMI for some of you:

For the past week Renee has made all of her poopies on the potty. No, that was not a typo. Renee (our infant) poops on the potty. It started early last week when she hadn't gone in over a day (which is unusual for her). She usually goes when she's sitting on my lap, and she started kind of straining like she needed to go. I thought, "Hey, I'll save myself from having to change a dirty diaper!", so I just sat her on the potty and let her do her business there. Worked like a charm. Every evening since then I've set her on the potty after her last feeding and she has gone - no problem. Peepeed a little, too. Now who knows if this will continue into toddlerhood, but I'm pretty happy to say that I am the mother of a 2 year old and a 4 month old, and have not changed a poopy diaper in a week! Awesome.

Apparently in a lot of other cultures, where they do not have the luxury of disposable diapers, children are potty trained right off the bat. My dear friend, Maggie, who recently traveled to Tibet showed me photos of Tibetan children (and infants) wearing pants with holes in the bottom. No diapers period from day 1 there, I guess.

Here is an article about potty training infants. No, I don't think I'll go off the deep end and do what these people are suggesting, but it is interesting and now I believe that it CAN be done. There's a bit of a movement among mostly stay-at-home moms to start doing this. I suppose it's good for the environment and spares you the hassle of potty training a strong-willed toddler.

No comments: